Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I'm Sorry, I'm Busy Being A Vampire

I'm going to quickly switch back to my education, specifically in the start of the second year of engineering.  I had tried to get into Mechanical Engineering (to make cars), Civil Engineering (to make buildings), or Train Engineering (because trains are important too guys).  I didn't get into them.  Instead, I got into Software Engineering.  At the time, I was pretty upset by it.  Even though it was high on my list of concentrations to go in, I had spent the first few years of my life wanting to make cars or buildings.  However, once I got going on Software Engineering in my second year, I found I actually really liked it.  Software Engineering got to take classes with people in Computer and Electrical Engineering, so I was in classes with Mike, another one of my good friends, and another guy who I hung out with sometimes.  There were a couple of classes that I had to take because of Engineering that I really didn't want to, such as Differential Equations.  Seriously, what software engineer ever has to know differential equations?  Since that class, I've never even had to use math.

It was around this time that my boyfriend of the time started being kinda mean to engineers.  He kept saying that everyone was in it solely to get the iron ring at the end, and you could do any engineer's job with any different degree (ie. Chem degree instead of a chemical engineer, architect instead of a civil engineer, etc.) This is pretty wrong, otherwise they wouldn't have an engineering degree.  However, with software engineering, there is an equivalent degree in computer science.  He was taking an equivalent class to what I was taking at one point, and he was learning a lot more theory and things that I actually wanted to know compared to what I was learning.  I decided to look into it, and I found that there were a lot more classes in computer science that were applicable to software engineering, such as computability.  I started asking a bunch of professors in both engineering's software engineering and computer science's software engineering.  Basically, the best response I got from the head of engg's software engineering as a reason to not switch is "but you won't get your ring."  I was annoyed, and so I switched.  Best decision I ever made, and one of the best things that came out of that relationship.  After I did that, my interest went higher and higher, and my grades went up accordingly.

In my second year, I found out I had to get my wisdom teeth out.  It seemed like a good time, since I was having a lull in health issues, so we agreed.  I got my teeth x-ray sent to this guy by market mall (he was crazy as a bat) and we went to see him.  We told him all about my health problems, and he was all like 'oh yeah, no problem, this will go fine, I'm crazy' and stuff, so we felt good about it.  We scheduled it for reading week of my second year, and I was all ready to go.  Two days before reading week, I got a phone call.  It was the nurse in the guy's office, telling me that I needed to go for an appointment with the anesthetic guy before my surgery.  This was Thursday, and my surgery date was on Monday, so I was like 'well, can I get into an appointment tomorrow?' and she said 'no.'  This got me so mad.  I said it was ridiculous, that was the only time I could go get it because I had to work over the summer, so I couldn't get it for another year, and this was stupid.  She's was like 'whatevs, sorry, bye' and that was it.  I called my parents in a rage.  Then I called the guy's office back and told them it was extremely unprofessional, if they wanted me to go for an appointment with the guy they should have called ages ago after I had the appointment with the surgeon, and they were obviously just frightened of my health problems and so didn't want to do it.  I told them again they were unprofessional and asked them to send my xrays back to my dentist, because I would never let this surgeon touch me, and I planned on telling not only my dentist but everyone I know about this stupid situation.  It was so stupid.  So then I found this other place in the south of the city I live in (I'm in the north) who wouldn't even need to see me before the surgery, I just had to tell them about my health problems on the site and they would know.  It was great, I had a date booked for right after school (because I could actually do it then).  I went to an appointment with my rheumatologist and told her about it.  She told me I couldn't get it.  I asked why.  She said that if I get oral surgery while on the infusions, I could get the bone disease in my jaw.  I was super upset, so she called the surgeon for me and told him.  He then told her that he was planning on giving me a steroid after, a steroid called Decadron, the one that gave me the bone disease in the first place!  She basically said 'like hell, stay away from her!' and my appointment was cancelled.

Around this same time, I stopped getting my infusions.  My rheumatologist looked at my bone density tests and MRI's and decided that the bone disease had stopped killing more bone, and some maybe even grew back a little bit!  But we were at a point where it wouldn't help anymore, so there was no reason to get it anymore.  At that time, I was no longer getting kidney stones quite so much, so that was awesome!  I was quite happy to not have to get two blood tests and an IV every month, so that was great.

In 2009, I went back to my rheumatologist, and I got an MRI of my shoulders, just to check up on things.  It still hurt in that weird, pinchy way, but I wasn't concerned because it'd been doing it for a year and I was kind of used to it by now.  However, when I went into her office and we looked at my MRI results, she started reading it and said "oh no.  This isn't good.  This isn't good at all."  It turned out that the feeling of pinching in my shoulder was actually the feeling of a collapsed joint.  The dead bone and some cartilage around it had burst apart, leaving a super raw point in my shoulder exposed.  I needed to get it fixed.  I was pretty upset by this, because I had had a good run of a few years with no health problems.  I got a referral to a shoulder surgeon, and a "that sucks, sorry!" in the nicest way possible (she really is a great rheumatologist).  I got in my car in the parkade and called my parents, and then my boyfriend, bawling my eyes out.  I remember a car waiting behind me in the parkade, and I didn't notice for a while, so he just patiently waited for me to leave.  After a few minutes, I shut my car off because I wasn't going to drive while on the phone and crying like an idiot (that seems a little distracted driving-y), and he got all mad and drove off angrily.  I was very upset.

Shortly after this, in the summer between my third and fourth year, my boyfriend broke up with me.  I'm very ashamed that I'm not the one who terminated the relationship, but oh well.  He told me that for the entire past year, he didn't love me, he was just sticking around because he didn't want to hurt me.  I was really upset.  I had just spent a month helping him get through a cold or something, and then pneumonia because he didn't go to the doctor when it got really bad, and he didn't even care.  Another reason he broke up with me was that, and I quote, 'how can I know that you're a good girlfriend if I've never had another girlfriend? I need to date someone else to know if you're actually good or not.'  So yeah.  A very long story short, this chapter of my life is closed.  For now.  I've learned that things in life are never quite what they seem, and this entire relationship is one of those situations.  But once again, more on that later.

A few months after this, I ended up meeting a guy at work at Cardel and we started dating.

No comments:

Post a Comment