Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Don't Play Human Foosball Unless You Don't Mind A Soccer Ball In The Face

I'm going to skip ahead in the story to the start of University.  This isn't because nothing happened, just that nothing massive happened that pertains to the story, so there's no need to tell you guys about it.  From this point, the story will be on fast forward a bit because of the lull in my health problems.  I'll get through this part as quickly as possible so I can get back to the fun stuff!

Halfway through the summer was an engineering open house.  It solidified in my mind that I was doing the right thing for school.  Partway through the day we played human Foosball, which is where a bunch of people hold onto long poles and face the same way as the people on the Foosball table.  Then they throw a soccer ball in the middle of it.  They put me in the very middle, and I was looking down at the ball right when someone kicked it up and into my nose.  It bled for two hours.  It was hilarious.

The first day of University was called UofC 101.  The basic idea of it is that you run around the uni going to all these fake classes practising for the real thing.  I was put in a group with this girl that I'd met a few weeks before at an engineering open house thing.  I spent some time too with some friends from my lifeguarding job.  It was weird for me because I was almost the oldest, a full year older than everyone else in my year.

When I got home from the first day of UofC 101, I got a phone call from my boyfriend at the time.  Things happened a while ago that I couldn't remember (my psychologist has told me I was experiencing dissociation at the time) and we broke up.  It was difficult for me because I couldn't remember doing it, so I had to just accept the fact that it had happened and was my fault.  I never tried to pass the blame off, because I hate when people do that.  Our relationship ended at the point of one year and eight months, and my family and I were alone again suddenly in the health problems.  I still had my headache.  I decided to not go to the rest of UofC 101.

After a few days I was pretty ready to get over the whole ordeal and move on with my life.  If there's anything health problems have taught me, it's how to deal with things and put them behind me.  The guy was still calling and asking me questions about what had happened, which bothered me because I didn't know any of the answers.  I wanted him to stop so I could move on and focus on school.

School was awesome!  I'd waited since grade 8 to be in University, and it didn't disappoint me.  I had six classes, which is a very heavy course load.  One thing I want to stress about this: it wasn't necessarily hard, it was just a lot of work.  The people who drop out probably aren't dropping out because they don't understand the material, they're dropping because they haven't or didn't want to keep up with the course load.  The first year, I did pretty good with sticking to it.  I had to get my infusions still, once a month, and I had to fit it around my classes, which got a little difficult.  I was at a good point with the pain though, and so luckily that didn't get in the way too much.

I had a few friends in this time.  I found out that Mike, the guy from Chinook (my 27 year old friend) was in engineering too so we hung out every so often.  I got a few friends in my block in engg, one girl and a bunch of guy friends (I've always got along way better with guys).  I found that I didn't really like how some of the people in engg acted towards engineering.  Some were being very competitive about it, which is ridiculous; you're not going to make it out being the only engineer, so you may as well try to take as many of your friends with you.  The friends I made were people who where all for helping each other, which was great.  One major thing that happened to me in this year was I started playing World of Warcraft.  From now on, I'll refer to this game as WoW.

At the end of the first year, I was hanging out with one guy a lot in particular, because he was pretty down to earth compared to a lot of other people in my block.  He introduced me to one of his friends, and the friend and I really clicked.  He was in number theory or something.  We started dating at the end of the first year of university, on May 7, 2007.

About in the middle of his and my relationship, my left shoulder started hurting.  It felt like I was getting pinched in the shoulder joint, and would sting.  I noticed it most while I was lifeguarding, but thought nothing of it other than a pulled muscle.  I went to the doctor for it, who said we could do an MRI, and I denied.  In my opinion there was enough wrong with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment