Friday, August 19, 2011

Why Are You Following Me?

A few days after I got off my crutches, I got to graduate.  The Jubilee was under construction, so we got to graduate in the gym of the University.  Our whole graduation (ceremony, reception, aftergrad party) was on the same day.  I wore a blue dress with a jacket over it I think, and these really cute flip flops that had a little bow on them (flats, because I wasn't allowed to wear heels yet).  I was looking like a weird upper body builder who forgot she had legs, because my arms were ripped and my legs were tiny stick legs, so I didn't really care what I looked like.  I hated high school anyway at this point, and didn't mind that I was probably never going to see any of the people again, so this wasn't special for me at all.

We got to the University, and we went through all the "oh my god, we're pretending to be friends, lets take a thousand pictures that we'll never look at again because we're pretending we like each other" thing.  We went through this pretty quickly, and I went back to hanging out with my parents and grandparents.  A little while into getting there, we got to go downstairs and get our gowns on, and then got a few more pictures of that.  Click click click.

Finally, we got to get all lined up to go into the gym.  I got to stand at the front of all the people, even though my last name starts with an N, because I was going to leave right away after.  We decided I probably wouldn't be able to sit there for the whole 3 hours without pain or discomfort, so we decided that was the best option.  We walked in, and I sat down in the chair beside my dad (he was there for me to hang onto while walking to and from the stage).  They went through a couple of speeches, and then the first round of diplomas were given out, which included me.  Dad walked me up, then went around the back to the other side of the stage.  The guy read out my name, and I walked over to shake the people's hand and get it.  The picture of this is actually really funny, our principle had to lean down really far to reach my hand (because I'm only about 2 feet tall), and my face is white like a sheet because I'm already getting dizzy.  Then I walked to the end of the stage and down the stairs, where Dad was waiting.  We walked down the aisle and out the back door, giggling because we got to leave early.  Then we turned around, and saw that the next person had followed us!  I was like "what are you doing! You're supposed to go sit down!" and he was like "Oh!" and ran back into the gym.  It was hilarious.

So then we handed the gown back in and met up with my mom and grandparents, and we went to Boston Pizza.  We had a niiiice lunch while all my classmates sat in the warm, stuffy gym listening to boring speeches.  Then we went back to my house and got ready for the reception.  Once I got dressed up, we took a couple of pictures in the living room, and then all went out back for a beer.

I had on a blue dress that hooked up in the back (so I wouldn't trip on it while I walked backwards, apparently), and black gloves, and a rhinestoned top hat. I also had on a bunch of jewelry that used to be my great nana's.  I brought my Mom, my Dad, Kyle, Kyle's girlfriend at the time, and my boyfriend.  Our goal was to fill up 90% of the table (succeeded!)  Se we all had a beer together, and then all jumped in the jeep (someone else had to have driven...maybe we took Garth the van? Oh well) and went to the Telus Convention Centre.  I don't remember much about when we got there...probably because it was so uneventful.  For some reason when we went in, we all went in a big line and walked around the room, as if no one had ever seen us before.  Then we stood there for a couple minutes, extremely awkwardly, and then all sat down at our tables.  While we ate our terrible meal, a "slideshow" went up on the screen, which was literally just our pictures out of order to a lame song, and it was on repeat.  It sucked.  I hope the guys who made it didn't get a job making slideshows.  After the meal, my boyfriend told me that he'd brought rum, so we drank some of that.  Then we danced for about three songs, and we went home.

After that, my boyfriend and I got ready for the aftergrad.  This literally involved a change of clothes, and another beer.  Then Dad drove us to the aftergrad.  I was still 17 so my 18 year old boyfriend got a wristband and I did not.  We danced a bit and hung out with some people (his friend, who's now a cop, was also there, feeding beer to his 17 year old girlfriend through their mouths...it's as gross as it sounds).  Then, one of my friends who know the owner got me a band, so I had one beer, and then danced the night away.

That was the last time I saw most of the people from high school.  I went back only one day, to pick up my yearbook, and I snuck in and out so I wouldn't see anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment