Monday, August 8, 2011

Kickstart My Heart....Not What You Think

Time went by pretty slowly for me for the next two months.  Mom would come downstairs at all hours of the night if I needed anything, like painkillers or a glass of water.  Have you ever tried to drink a glass of water while you're walking?  Now try it when you're using both hands to push your wheelchair.  Not so easy now, eh?!

During this time, I remember mostly Kyle's band coming over and jamming in the basement while I was rolling around upstairs.  I was happy, because it made me feel like I was out at a concert, something I missed while in my wheelchair.  At one point I asked Kyle if I could learn the bass while in my wheelchair, and we took the arms off the chair and put it on me.  That was when I realized I couldn't ever learn to play the bass because my hobbit arms were too short.

This was the point that The Sims really took a big part in my life.  Mom and I took one of my few trips out of the house to go to the mall to get an expansion pack.  We'd already spent my graduation money on a laptop for me because we realized that I wouldn't be able to do much else, so I was all pumped to put this expansion on it.  We rolled into Compusmart in Market Mall, got it, and came home.  I tried to install it and watched as the progress bar began to fill.  30%, 40%, 50%, 60%... and then it didn't move anymore.  It got stuck at 60%.  I was super upset, and already pretty exhausted from our previous outing, so Mom made me have a nap while she took it back and got a new one.  Well, that one did it too.  And so did the next.  Finally, Mom just returned it and went to EB Games.  That copy worked.  That's the reason I only get games from EB Games now.

I couldn't get upstairs to shower (except for one time, where Mom and Dad made a sling with their arms and lifted me up... I've been trying to get them to do it again ever since, but to no avail), so Mom and I had to go to my pool (because I was a lifeguard at this point) to shower.  So one day, Mom and I got ready to go out to this pool to shower.  We put the ramps out the back door (because it was less of a slope, and thus less likely that I would take out the person helping me down going 60km/h) and we got me down it.  Then, for some reason, Mom decided we would roll around the house at a full out run.  Did you know that wheelchairs have seat belts?  I found out why.  We hit a hole, and if I hadn't been holding on as hard as I was, I would have gone flying off my chair and shattered my hips.  Hilarious at the time, but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure she was trying to kill me.  Well, you haven't succeeded yet Mom!

The only time that I remember negatively in this time had to do with my high school friends.  None had visited me in the hospital again, which sucked, but I had my boyfriend at the time so it wasn't so bad.  Well, they decided that they were all going to pile into a couple of cars after school one day to come and visit me while I was at home.  However, they failed to tell me about it.  Mom and I happened to be headed for Market Mall at this time, and it took me about a half an hour to get into my car.  So I got a phone call from one of them telling me they'd be there in about 10 minutes.  I was upset, because this was the first time they were visiting and if I managed to get back into the house in the allotted time, I'd be so tired already that'd I'd just fall asleep when they got there.  So I told them the truth: I wasn't home.  They got mad at me and decided it was my fault.  I hung up feeling pretty low.  I felt it was unfair that I already had so much troubles healthwise in my short little life, and now I was getting mega rejection from my friends because of it, even though neither of those things were my fault.  Mom cheered me up with a good ole' "buck up, buttercup" and we were on our way to the mall.

Two concerts happened while I was in my wheelchair: Velvet Revolver and Motley Crue.  They were two of my favourite bands, so I had to go.  My boyfriend and I got my handicapped placard and went off to the Saddledome.  The band's were awesome (at the VR concert, Kyle even got me Slash's cigarette <3 because he was in the front row, the place that I would also be had I been able to walk).  When we were at the Motley Crue concert, I had to go to the washroom, so I pushed myself into the women's.  As I was washing my hands, I heard someone go "hey, you can't be in here!"  I turn around, and there stands an extremely drunk Kyle.  There was a line for the men's room, so he came into the woman's (wearing his friends shoes, for some reason).  As the women in it started to get angry, I said "it's okay! He's my brother!" and everyone kind of went "ohhhh okay" and calmed down.

Another new thing we got during this time was our Jeep.  Mom and Dad's car at the time was the Opaz, which I was using whenever I could, and Kyle had Garth the van, so they needed a new vehicle.  They bring it home one day, and took me and Kyle outside to see it.  To get me into it, however, Dad had to lift me up from the chair and put me in the Jeep seat, because it was wayyyyyy too tall for me to transfer into.  It was a cool vehicle, and I got to claim the front passenger seat because it was easiest.

During this time, we thought it would be good for me to get my hair cut.  It would be hard getting me into my hairdressers house, so my hairdresser decided she was going to come to me.  She came and cut my hair in the middle of the kitchen, like Mom used to do when we lived in Ottawa.  It was really nice of her, and I'm super appreciative of it!  She's the best hairdresser I've ever met, so caring!!

The last awesome story I have about this time is when we went to Hys, this really high end restaurant.  I'm quite the steak fan, so I was immediately stoked to go.  We had a great time, and at the end they asked if we wanted deserts or speciality drinks.  My family all chose Spanish coffees or whatever, and I, being a tea lover and under 18, ordered a blueberry tea.  The waiter kind of looked at me, then at my parents, and then said okay and walked off.  Then he returned with Amaretto and Grand Marnier, poured them together, and told us to enjoy.  We all looked at each other.  None of us had heard of this, and I had successfully ordered alcohol underage because he didn't want to ask me for ID!  Too bad I wasn't a drinker.  I had it anyway though.

Coming to the end of the two months, I was healing pretty well.  I still couldn't put weight on my legs, but I was close!

No comments:

Post a Comment